Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Salad days

When Mr Smith goes away I get the desire to clean up the house.  Why I don't do this when he's here I am not quite sure.  I think I love him coming home and seeing it all tidy and sparkling and there being some sort of renaissance in our lives.  This unfortunately coincides with both boys being at home; they are not allowed any meals. I told the Best Boy, who seems to have a break from film making, that I did not wish to mess up my newly immaculated kitchen.  "It's OK" he announced "I will mess it up for you". .... and the Apprentice will help.

I am so lazy these days I despair.  It is hot and I am fat and exhausted.  I just lie on the sofa between little bouts of painting yearning for autumn to arrive. I do not know where this malaise has come from but I really am so idle it is piteous.  My garden rambles, my house smells, my boys hang around asking what's for the next meal and I don't care.  I tried to hula hoop yesterday, unsuccessfully.  I am no Grace Jones.  Today I will swim and passe l'aspirateur.  That's french for hoovering.  I might polish too which I think is frotter, but that might be wanking.

My mother rang yesterday with a royal summons.  "You must come and visit your father." But I have a sofa to lie on and endless programmes about people smuggling things into Australia to watch.  "You can only come if he is able to see you; he might be out." Well, then I am not coming.  I told her it was customary to invite someone to something as in "Would you like to come to tea tomorrow?". Then I will look in my diary and see if I'm free.  Oh no sorry, it's Murder, She Wrote at 3.




No comments:

Post a Comment