Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cake & Bake Show



I took my Great Big Cake along to Earls Court where I was greeted in style.  I was taken up in the lift to the display area where I met other cakeists.  I actually have to say mine, despite being a bit thrown together, held its head up.  It was the only early arrival in the amateur section.  By some miracle nothing fell off on the way despite Mr Smith's swervy driving and ManditheKiwi hitting a cyclist with the car door.  The cyclist wasn't too happy and I shouted and Mandi who then cried.  We were giving her a lift home on the way to deliver the cake. Anyway, it was very nice of Mr Smith to drive me there.  He sat in the car park listening to the cricket whilst I ponced about in cakeland feeling all happy.  When we got home I called ManditheKiwi and she perked up a bit despite being in her cups having drunk a whole bottle of wine.  It was the second cyclist with whom she had had an altercation in a day; Boris having nearly squashed her with his bicycle at lunch time.  She will have a headache today.  I have a headache today and I only had a few glasses of celebratory sauce.

Anyway, today I am off to the show for real, just for the morning to attend a lecture on painting on cakes.  You might think this is easy but let me tell you, my efforts have not exactly been Sistine Chapel ceiling ... More like that woman who bogged up the Jesus fresco in Spain. I am hoping to find out how to do it properly.

It was a great relief to get the cake finished and early too.  I wonder where all the other non professional entries had got to.  Claudia says they are all panicking madly and remaking their cakes for delivery tomorrow.. Badly!  Teehee.  On Sunday the Lovely Claudia and I are going to the show for the whole afternoon.  I am really taking advantage of my weekend pass.  I told her I had entered her for the live cake decorating contest where you have to decorate a dummy cake (a bit of cake shaped polystyrene) in an hour, being told the theme 30 mins previously.  Actually, it's the sort of thing I would be quite good at but enough is enough and I would probably get my knickers in a twist and if there is one thing I do not need it is any more pressure in my life.  I have a cow and Kent and Mr Smith to do that.






No comments:

Post a Comment