Sunday, August 24, 2014

Is it a bird, is it a plane?

There are certain things I had rather stupidly overlooked when moving to the country such as the clanging of church bells and the smell of manure.  Then there are nice things such as tradesmen and practitioners being a lot less expensive, people in shops being cheery and polite and everyone knowing the names of birds and trees.  Mr Smith: Robin, horse chestnut.  Me: Blackbird, yes I know it's brown; it's Mrs Blackbird,
Christmas tree.  After that it's just bird, tree, let's go shopping ..... for a bird book and I spy trees.

The reason for all this: I found a dead bird, in my dog's mouth.  He didn't kill it but was so proud of his trophy and furious with me for prising his jaws apart to remove feather and maggot.  It was ringed so I looked online and reported it.  I am supposed to keep the ring.  But it is attached to putrid bird and I don't fancy cutting its little leg off.  Consider it reported, end of.  What type of bird?  Gawd, I dunno, one with wings, green wings.  So it must be a greenfinch.  Looks like a greenfinch to me.  Dead greenfinch.

I am repairing well.  I made a pompom sheep and some biscuits.





No comments:

Post a Comment